Respected dentist in Indianapolis, IN explains the difference between Invisalign and traditional metal braces
Invisalign and traditional metal braces can effectively treat crowding, spacing, crossbite, overbite, and underbite issues, and straighten the teeth. With these major similarities, people often will ask, “What are the differences between Invisalign and traditional metal braces? The Washington Street Dentistry team in Indianapolis, IN is happy to explain.
UNDERSTANDING INVISALIGN TREATMENT
The first step toward the smile of your dreams is scheduling a consultation with our respected dentist, Dr. Matthew Church. He will thoroughly examine the health of your mouth, teeth, and gums. Typically, impressions, digital x-rays and photographs are taken. For Invisalign treatment, we send the molds of the dental arches to an Invisalign laboratory for the fabrication of clear, customized aligners. Typically, after a few weeks, the aligners arrive and are ready for you to wear.
INVISALIGN VS. TRADITIONAL METAL BRACES
There are many differences between Invisalign and traditional orthodontics including:
- Invisalign involves removable aligners. Invisalign enables you to eat the foods you love, which can include sticky foods often avoided when wearing conventional braces. Before eating, you can remove the aligners. Braces do not afford the same advantage.
- It is easier to keep teeth clean during Invisalign treatment. You can brush and floss the teeth as you normally would. Traditional metal braces may require an interdental brush or water flosser to keep teeth under the wires clean.
- Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible. A series of clear aligners can be appealing, especially to adults. With Invisalign, you do not need to worry about hiding a smile of metal brackets and wires. You can simply eat and socialize without any embarrassment throughout the treatment process.
- Invisalign aligners are typically comfortable. You do not need to be concerned about the potential of metal irritating the cheeks and gums. Aligners are made of a smooth plastic, which allows the utmost comfort.
- Invisalign can be a convenient treatment. We usually advise wearing Invisalign aligners 20-22 hours a day. Unlike their metal counterparts, you can enjoy the luxury of removing them for eating, brushing, flossing, and special events.
Do you think Invisalign may be the right treatment for you? If you wish to straighten or realign the teeth with this orthodontic treatment, we will be happy to talk to you about more benefits of this innovative treatment. Call (317) 333-6788 today to schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Church.Back to Invisalign Page