Patients in Indianapolis counter dental apprehension with sedation dentistry
History has done professional dental care somewhat of a disservice. Books, images, and even jokes have played upon the notion that visiting the dentist is a painful and frightening experience. While there may have been a small basis of truth that early dental treatments could be uncomfortable, certain research suggests that fear of the dentist can come from several perspectives, such as:
- Past trauma – patients who have had an uncomfortable experience with prior dental procedures may not be able to get past the memory.
- Sensory stimulation – for some patients, the sounds of the drill, the feel of injections, or the sight of blood, causes real anxiety.
- Perceived threat – there may be intangible anxieties that cause non-specific fear of the dentist. This may be due to concern over personal space (or claustrophobia), the perceived inability to keep the mouth open for an extended period of time, or even embarrassment about a strong gag reflex.
Dr. Matthew Church and our professional team at Washington Street Dentistry in Indianapolis understand that dental anxieties are real for those who suffer from them. We are committed to ensuring that our patients are able to receive the dental care that they need and deserve for optimal oral health and happy smiles.
CALL OUR OFFICE FOR MORE INFORMATION
New Patients: (317) 333-6788
Existing Patients: (317) 890-4455
That’s why we are pleased to offer sedation dentistry. Sedatives are used in varying strengths based upon each patient’s specific needs or concerns. Sedation dentistry uses prescribed sedatives, which dull the reaction of the central nervous system, particularly as related to awareness. The benefits of sedation dentistry include:
- Patients no longer have to postpone or avoid treatments that are beneficial to their oral and physical health
- When a patient is comfortable, our team is better able to perform necessary procedures.
- Longer treatments can be performed in one visit, as opposed to scheduling multiple phases of treatment.
- As patients receive care without anxiety or discomfort, phobias may begin to diminish.
Find out how you can enjoy pain-free, worry-free, comfortable dental care by calling us at Washington Street Dentistry at (317) 333-6788 today.
Share this Article
Back to Sedation Dentistry Page