Patients of Indianapolis, IN discover benefits of a dental crown
Dental crowns are quite versatile, but they are most commonly used to repair a tooth that has a large area of decay, or is cracked or broken. In that context, the crown restores appearance and functionality. It adds strength and protects the tooth from further damage. Imagine it as a tiny hard hat for a compromised tooth.
If you are in the Indianapolis, IN area and considering a dental crown, be aware of these additional benefits:
- Conservative. A crown allows you to avoid extraction, maintaining your natural tooth root and as much of the structure as possible.
- Aesthetic. Crowns may be made of gold or other strong metals for back teeth. But in most cases, the doctors at Washington Street Dentistry are able to restore your tooth with a lovely, natural-looking crown made of porcelain, porcelain over metal, or resin crown. In addition, crowns can be used solely for cosmetic dentistry, to disguise deep discoloration, or enhance the shape and size of a tooth.
- Stain resistant. Porcelain crowns are non-reactive – they won’t discolor from acids in the mouth and don’t stain easily from foods and beverages.
- Functional. Your new crown performs like a natural tooth for biting, chewing, and speaking.
- Stable. A crown is securely cemented into place. It can’t slip like a denture and you don’t have to take it out for cleaning. That gives you confidence when eating, speaking, and smiling.
- Comfortable. A partial denture sits on top of the gum and jaw bone. That can cause irritation when you chew. A dental crown simply replaces the natural top portion of your tooth so it feels natural.
- Durable. You may expect your dental crown to last about ten years – much longer with good home care and regular check-ups. Depending on its location in your mouth, we’ll talk with you about a few common-sense precautions to avoid damage, such as not biting directly into hard foods or gnawing on brittle objects. If you grind or clench, we can help your crown last with advice on a night guard.
Crowns have been around for a long time, but the team at Washington Street Dentistry actively seeks continuing education in crown technology. We are committed to delivering the best care available in Indianapolis and the surrounding area. Become our newest patient by calling (317) 333-6788 today for an appointment.
Back to Crowns and Bridges Page