Looking for dentistry services for children in the Indianapolis area?
Third molars, also known as “wisdom teeth,” are the last teeth to erupt and can cause many problems for both teenagers and adults. Most people do not have enough room for the wisdom teeth to properly emerge, which can lead them to become impacted. Impacted wisdom teeth can be painful, but they can be removed safely.
At Washington Street Dentistry, we offer patients in the Indianapolis area the convenience of wisdom teeth removal. We can alleviate pain and prevent further oral issues by removing them.
The Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure
- Consultation – During this appointment we will examine the area to determine if extraction is necessary. We discuss what to expect before, during, and after the procedure.
- Sedation – We offer oral conscious and nitrous oxide sedation to make patients totally relaxed through the entire procedure.
- Removal – During the removal process Dr. Church:
- Will make an incision in the gum to expose the wisdom teeth
- Divide the tooth into pieces and remove
- Clean up any debris
- Stitch the wound for healing
- Place gauze on the incision site to promote clotting
Post procedure care instructions
Following the removal of your wisdom teeth, you’ll be taken to a recovery room for a brief time. Once you go home, follow these instructions:
- Avoid activity for the rest of the day. Limit strenuous activity for a week to prevent the blood clot from dislodging.
- Drink lots of water and avoid caffeine, alcohol, carbonated, and hot beverages for the first 24 hours. Do not use a straw.
- Eat soft foods for 24 hours.
- Take over the counter or prescribed medication as directed for pain.
- Use ice packs to control swelling.
- Don’t brush your teeth or rinse for the first 24 hours.
For more information on this procedure, call us today at (317) 333-6788.
Share this Article
Back to Extractions & Oral Surgery Page