Simple steps to master brushing and flossing: learn techniques from Indianapolis dentist providing pediatric dental care
Parents in Indianapolis, IN who are seeking a dental care professional who offers care for themselves and their children are welcome to speak to the team at Washington Street Dentistry regarding pediatric services with Dr. Matthew Church. Pediatric dental care focuses on building a proper foundation for children to enjoy a lifetime of beautiful smiles. Preventative care, including education, is crucial in the early years.
Pediatric dental care
Washington Street Dentistry is dedicated to helping children and adults achieve beautiful healthy smiles. With children, he starts with routine examinations and x-rays to check the oral health of the children. Then, he educates them on how to care for their smile. This includes teaching children how to properly brush and floss their teeth.
Simple steps to master brushing
- Have children choose a toothbrush they are excited about with a character or color that means a lot to them. Make sure it is a soft-bristled brush for comfort and to avoid the child from brushing too hard.
- Some children may have trouble holding a toothbrush, so be sure to purchase one that fits properly in their hands and is the proper size.
- Use a toothpaste that has fluoride in it regardless of age. Under the age of three, only use an amount similar to the size of a rice grain, and for children ages 3-6, a larger amount the size of a pea.
- Use a timer to ensure children are spending enough time brushing their teeth. Teeth brushing should occur for at least two minutes.
CALL OUR OFFICE FOR MORE INFORMATION
New Patients: (317) 333-6788
Existing Patients: (317) 890-4455
Simple steps to master flossing
- Ensure your child has soft dental floss that is pliable enough to get into those hard-to-reach areas.
- Take approximately a foot and a half of floss from the roll and wrap it around your child’s finger.
- Teach your child to keep the floss tightened between the fingers but not around the fingers.
- Children should floss by creating a C-shape around the tooth and sliding it just underneath the gums
- Repeat with each tooth so the child learns how to access all areas of the smile for effective flossing.
What other ways can a parent ensure their child is taking care of their smile?
It is important for children to brush and floss as often as possible to remove plaque and tartar from the surfaces of the teeth. However, there are other ways in which parents can help their children care for their teeth and gums. Parents are advised to give their children an appropriate diet with less sodas and candies, as these create sugars that can eat away at the natural tooth enamel and result in cavities. Parents of little ones should avoid sending their child to bed with a bottle of milk, as this can also result in decay because of the milk staying on the surfaces of the teeth overnight. Scheduling children for their routine appointments with the dentist is also essential in ensuring children have a professional monitoring their oral health. During these appointments, our professionals will take x-rays, clean the teeth, and may also provide preventive services such as the application of fluoride or sealants to further protect the teeth from decay and disease. With all these services in place, children can keep their smiles healthy and beautiful for many years to come. Preventative and general dentistry on a regular basis can help parents avoid expensive treatments later on down the road.
Ready to learn more about how to care for your smile between dental visits?
Contact Dr. Matthew Church and his team of professionals at Washington Street Dentistry today to learn more about the advantages of taking care of the teeth with brushing and flossing in-between recall appointments. Call for an appointment at (317) 333-6788 and visit the office at 10935 East Washington Street in Indianapolis, Indiana. Patients in and around the area, including the communities of Cumberland, Greenfield, Anderson, Lawrence, and New Palestine can also enjoy treatment at our family-friendly practice. Whether you are seeking pediatric care for your child or comprehensive dentistry for yourself, contact us to make an appointment.
Share this Article
Back to Pediatric Dentistry Page