The benefits of tooth colored fillings for Indianapolis smiles
Silvered-colored amalgam has been in use in the United States since 1844 to repair dental caries. Today, most people don’t want to advertise to the world that they have had a cavity. At Washington Street Dentistry, Dr. Matthew Church uses tooth colored fillings to keep Indianapolis smiles healthy and looking great.
What is a tooth colored filling?
While these restorations are often called tooth colored fillings, white fillings, or bonding, the technical term is “composite resin.” It is made of a plastic compound for color and durability, blended with finely ground glass for strength and luminescence. The pliable composite is bonded into the opening left by the cavity. Dr. Church applies it in layers, each hardened with a special light. Then he shapes the composite to restore the original dimensions of the tooth. The restoration is polished, and Dr. Church can apply a clear plastic coating to reduce risk of staining if you smoke or drink a great deal of tea or coffee.
Benefits of tooth colored fillings
The obvious advantage of a tooth colored filling is aesthetics. The color is customized, so this type of restoration blends into your natural dentition so beautifully that you might forget which tooth is filled. Other people will see only a healthy white smile.
There are additional benefits, as well:
- Conservative – Tooth colored fillings are securely bonded to the prepared tooth (rather than pressed into place like an amalgam filling). The process involves less removal of healthy tooth structure, which means less risk of the tooth cracking and requiring more dental work in the future.
- Strong and durable – Modern composite resins resist wear and breakage, and last many years with good oral hygiene.
- Comfortable – Because this material is non-conductive, it insulates the filled tooth from temperature changes.
- Affordable – Composite resin fillings cost a little more than dental amalgam, but most insurance plans cover all or a portion of the cost.
- Healthy – There is no mercury or metal in composite resin, and BPA-free formulations are available.
- Versatile – Composite resin can also be used for purely cosmetic enhancement, such as improving the shape of a tooth, or closing a space between teeth.
Our goal is to help you prevent cavities and enjoy good oral health. Despite our combined best efforts, though, tooth decay can happen. If it does, you can count on Dr. Church for tooth colored fillings that restore your smile beautifully. Call Washington Street Dentistry in Indianapolis today to become a patient. The number is (317) 333-6788.Back to Cosmetic Dentistry Page