Invisalign-certified dentist in Indianapolis helps patients to achieve beautiful smiles
For more than 16 years, Invisalign has been offering patients an alternative to conventional braces. Once, wire and bracket braces were the only way to straighten crooked teeth and re-align an imperfect bite. Braces are effective, but carry the stigma of a long-term commitment, potential discomfort, challenging oral hygiene, and most of all, a visible, unattractive grid of metal.
Invisalign technology was envisioned by an orthodontic patient, Zia Chishti. Reviewing his post-braces retainer, he conceptualized treatment that could use a similar appliance throughout the entire straightening process, eliminating the need for the bands, brackets, and wires. Chishti partnered with a fellow Stanford University student, Kelsey Wirth. The duo sought out two other Stanford partners, Brian Freyburger and Apostolos Lerios, and established Align Technology. Invisalign was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration in 1998, and the first treatments were made available in 2000.
Today, nearly three million patients in more than 45 countries have enjoyed the many advantages of Invisalign, which include:
- Three dimensional (3D) imaging allows the patient and dentist to review virtual results and progression of alignment prior to beginning treatment.
- Clear, comfortable, BPA-free plastic aligners are custom-manufactured for each patient.
- Trays may be removed for eating and for brushing and flossing teeth.
- No food restrictions are necessary because, unlike traditional braces, there are no wires to trap food particles.
- Invisalign trays are virtually undetectable, allowing patients to speak and smile with confidence.
- A series of trays is provided, which gradually continue the gentle pressure that pushes teeth into desired positions.
- Because the trays are custom-fitted, there is little risk of irritation on the inside of the mouth.
- Treatment is typically completed within one year.
- Invisalign can correct many issues with teeth and jaw alignment, such as:
- Under-, over-, and cross-bites, in which the upper and lower teeth do not meet correctly.
Dr. Matthew Church, the dentist at Washington Street Dentistry, is proud to be a certified Invisalign provider. Serving patients from Indianapolis, Indiana, and surrounding regions, Dr. Church and our professional dental staff provide a broad range of pediatric, general, cosmetic, emergency, and reconstructive dentistry, as well as treatment for gum disease, sleep apnea, and root canals. Appointments may be scheduled by calling (317) 333-6788.
Share this Article
Back to Invisalign Page