When the best choice is Invisalign: Indianapolis dentist explains
Who wouldn’t want a straight and beautiful smile? Practicing appropriate oral hygiene and maintaining a close relationship with a professional dental team are two of the best ways to achieve lifelong oral health. Not everyone, however, naturally acquires a perfect smile.
Crooked, twisted, gapping, or overlapping teeth can make a person feel less than confident about his or her appearance. Misalignment and other imperfections in the smile may be caused by several factors, such as:
- The mouth is too small to hold all of the adult teeth. Therefore, the teeth are crowded, and shift into one another.
- The upper and lower jaws may not develop to the appropriate size, or may be malformed. This results in an overbite – when the upper jaw protrudes, or an underbite – when the lower jaw extends beyond the upper arch.
- Family genetics create a predisposition for misalignment.
- Premature loss of baby teeth or adult teeth can lead to bite issues.
- Clenching, grinding, or applying too much pressure on the teeth or gums force teeth out of normal position.
- Gum disease or periodontitis, can erode the jawbone, allowing teeth to shift or fall out.
- Injuries or trauma to the teeth or jaw may cause misalignment.
- Dental restorations, like crowns or fillings, that are not well-fitted may push the teeth out of alignment.
- Childhood habits, including tongue thrusting, thumb sucking, or using a pacifier longer than recommended cause the teeth to protrude.
Washington Street Dentistry serves patients from the greater Indianapolis area, including Anderson, Greenfield, Lawrence, Cumberland, New Palestine, and surrounding communities. Dr. Matthew Church is a Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists, a member of the American College of Oral Implantology, and an experienced Doctor of Dental Surgery. Our team offers a wide array of family, pediatric, restorative, cosmetic, preventive, sedation, and emergency dentistry services.
For patients who wish to improve the appearance of crooked or misaligned teeth, from mild conditions to more complex bite issues, we offer several options – cosmetic bonding, porcelain veneers, and Invisalign, an innovative, removable alternative to traditional orthodontic braces.
During a personal consultation, Dr. Church will examine your mouth, take time to understand your concerns, and help to determine if Invisalign is best option for your situation. Appointments at Washington Street Dentistry in Indianapolis may be scheduled by calling our friendly staff at (317) 333-6788.
Share this Article
Back to Invisalign Page