Indianapolis patients ask, “What are dental implants?”
Dental implants replace the tooth root for patients who have experienced tooth loss. A small, durable metal post is inserted into the jawbone socket of the lost tooth. Over a period of six to twelve weeks, the bone grows around the post, securing it to the jaw. After the bone has healed, another post, referred to as an abutment, is added to the implant, extending it to hold an artificial, natural looking crown. Dental implants can replace one or a series of missing teeth. Implants and crowns may also be used to secure removable dentures.
The first step to receiving dental implants includes imaging and creation of a model of the patient’s teeth, followed by an individualized treatment plan developed by a dentist specializing in implant surgery.
The benefits of dental implants include:
- Structural support for remaining teeth
- Look and feel of natural teeth
- Improved speech
- Stability – implants don’t slip or cause bone deterioration
- Materials do not decay like natural teeth
Dr. Matthew Church at Washington Street Dentistry has extensive training and experience in dental implant surgery. A Doctor of Dental Surgery, he attained his degree from University of Kentucky and advanced his studies at Misch International Implant Institute Surgical Program. Dr. Church is recognized as a Fellow with the International Congress of Oral Implantologists and is a member of the American College of Oral Implantology.
Dr. Church recommends dental implants for patients who:
- Are missing one or more teeth
- Have enough bone structure to anchor the implant or are candidates for bone grafting
- Are in generally good health and do not have chronic illnesses that impair healing
- Have a healthy mouth and gum tissue
- Understand what the process entails and that it will take several months to complete
- Are aware of the risks which, although rare, can occur with dental surgery
- Desire to restore their smiles and appearances
If you are interested in learning more about how dental implants may improve your quality of life, Dr. Church and the experienced team at Washington Street Dentistry will provide a comprehensive consultation, including evaluation of your health status, medical history, and unique needs and goals.
Washington Street Dentistry is located at 10935 East Washington Street in Indianapolis. Appointments and consultations may be scheduled by calling (317) 333-6788.