Indianapolis area dentist describes the care of the smile after tooth extraction
At Washington Street Dental, Dr. Matthew Church and his team offer a wide selection of treatments for patients in and around the area of Indianapolis. When patients have tooth extraction performed, they require after-care instructions specific to their needs to reduce the risk of infection or failed blood clotting.
Why Tooth Extraction?
There are several reasons a patient may have to undergo a tooth extraction. Tooth extraction is often performed for the following purposes:
- To remove a tooth that has been negatively impacted by a large cavity
- To remove a tooth that has become infected
- To remove wisdom teeth that may have become impacted or risk the health of the smile
- To prepare for orthodontic treatment when overcrowding is a concern
- To prepare for the placement of full dentures
Dr. Matthew Church of Washington Street Dentistry evaluates patients to determine if they can benefit from the extraction of a natural tooth. If so, he will discuss the process, including after-care.
Care for the Smile after Tooth Extraction
After teeth have been removed, follow these simple steps for a speedy recovery:
- Change gauze as needed and well before they become soaked with blood
- Relax after surgery – take it easy and don’t overdo it
- Smokers should avoid smoking cigarettes following their procedure
- The dentist may prescribe prescription medications for pain – take as directed
- 24 hours following extraction, rinse the mouth with warm salt water several times a day for reduced swelling and pain
- Avoid sucking through a straw following surgery for several days
- Carefully brush and floss
- Avoid lying flat on your back – stay elevated with pillows
- Stick with soft foods until the gums heal – pudding, gelatin, and soups
Washington Street Dentistry helps patients with many dental health care solutions including tooth extraction. If you feel as though you need to have one or more teeth removed for the health and beauty of your smile, contact the team today at (317) 333-6788.