Indianapolis patients benefit from tooth bonding
Dr. Matthew Church and our professional dental team at Washington Street Dentistry believe in offering our patients a variety of options when it comes to dental treatment or smile enhancement. Whether you need routine oral health screening and cleaning, wish to make minor changes to your smile, need reconstructive dental care, or have conditions such as sleep apnea or gum disease, we are here to help you to achieve optimal oral health.
Composite dental bonding is a very versatile dental treatment that may be a solution for many dental conditions, including:
- Whitening discolored teeth
- Reshaping, lengthening, or changing the shape of a tooth
- Filling in gaps
- Restoring cracked, damaged, or chipped teeth
- Repairing teeth that have decay
- Filling a cavity without using conventional silver amalgam
- Protecting an exposed tooth root caused by gum recession
Tooth-colored composite material, such as resin, is applied to a tooth or teeth as needed and a laser or ultraviolet light is used to harden the putty-like resin. After a thorough consultation with Dr. Church to determine whether dental bonding is the appropriate treatment for a patient’s unique needs, the process involves:
- Collaboration with Dr. Church to select the best color match, using a comprehensive shade guide
- Selection of the appropriate shape, if needed
- Anesthesia consultation if the bonding will be used to fill a tooth with decay
- Preparation of the tooth or teeth by gently abrading the enamel and applying a conditioning material, which ensures that the composite material will securely adhere to the tooth
- Application and shaping of the resin material for the desired result
- Smoothing the bond
- Light-activated hardening of the material
- Trimming, final shaping, and polishing the tooth
The procedure typically takes about a half an hour to an hour per tooth. Dental bonding is an easy and affordable in-office dental procedure that leaves more of the tooth’s natural enamel intact when compared to other restorations. In most cases, patients do not require anesthesia.
Washington Street Dentistry serves patients from Indianapolis, East Indianapolis, Lawrence, New Palestine, Greenfield, Cumberland, Anderson, and nearby communities. To learn more about dental bonding, request an appointment online or call our friendly and knowledgeable team at (317) 333-6788 today.