Dentist in Indianapolis, IN offers invisible braces with Invisalign
Few people have naturally straight and perfectly aligned teeth. The concept of dental braces can be traced back to as early as 400 BC. Philosophers like Aristotle and Hippocrates explored ways to fix dental problems such as misalignment. The science of orthodontics emerged in the mid-19th century and has continued to evolve over the years.
Conventional dental braces were typically made of metal and wire, conjuring images of the stereotypical awkward teenager. Average treatment time was around two years. Beyond the unappealing visible aesthetics, the common complaints associated with braces were:
- Inflammation of the gums due to the impaired ability to appropriately clean the teeth
- Ulcers on the lip or cheek caused by protruding wires
- Discomfort caused by the pressure of the braces
- Sensation of loose teeth
- Dietary restrictions
- Concern about decay or damage to teeth
Today, adults and teens have many options for straightening their teeth and enhancing their smiles, including invisible, removable, and discreet treatment with Invisalign. Using completely clear, comfortable, and progressively interchangeable, BPA-free, plastic alignment trays, Invisalign moves teeth into the desired position using gentle force. Every two weeks, a new, custom-designed tray, similar in appearance to a teeth whitening tray, is provided.
An Invisalign tray is worn 20 to 22 hours a day. Because it can be removed as needed, there are no food restrictions and patients can eat and drink comfortably and maintain appropriate oral hygiene without concern about debris being caught and trapped against the teeth. The alignment trays may be brushed and rinsed or Invisalign’s cleaning product may be used.
Other benefits of treatment with Invisalign include:
- Virtually undetectable treatment with little impact on the patient’s appearance
- No wires or brackets to irritate teeth, gums, or cheeks
- No wire adjustments at the dentist’s office
- Average treatment time is 12 months or less, depending upon each patient’s unique needs
- Less discomfort during treatment
- Patients adjust quickly to treatment and can speak comfortably and confidently in business or personal interactions
Dr. Matthew Church and our team at Washington Street Dentistry in Indianapolis, IN, have extensive training and experience with Invisalign technology. To find out more about Invisalign treatment, call our office today at (317) 333-6788.