What are the benefits of pediatric dental care in the Indianapolis, IN area?
Dr. Matthew Church and the team of Washington Street Dentistry in Indianapolis, IN is proud to offer patients solutions for their smile. Whether it’s a cosmetic concern or a serious disease affecting the smile’s health, we are available to help. Our professionals provide the benefit of pediatric dental care for children, while also offering services to adults as well. Parents are happy to bring their children into our practice for their dental needs while also scheduling appointments for themselves.
What is dentistry for children?
The focus on children is often on more preventative procedures instead of restorations, though these do come into play at times. We want our children to know that we have the solutions for a number of dental concerns that provide fast and effective treatment. Some of the services we provide include:
- Cleanings – taking care of the teeth begins with routine cleanings at our dental office. While brushing and flossing after ever meal is highly encouraged, it can be difficult to get all the bacteria, plaque, and tartar off the teeth. This is where professional cleaning comes in, to fully ensure the smile is healthy.
- Examinations – during cleanings, we also provide examinations for a child’s smile, which may include x-rays to monitor the health of the teeth and gums outside of where the eye can see. The dentist is always looking for signs of periodontal disease, cavities, and other concerns that may need to be addressed.
- Fillings – when cavities develop, it is important to address them with fillings. Fillings are completed with composite resin, which matches the color of the natural teeth. They seal the teeth to keep bacteria from entering into the tooth and causing an infection.
- Periodontal care – it is important for patients to take great care in maintaining the health of their smiles and avoiding the development of periodontal disease. Periodontal care is necessary in maintaining oral health and wellness while avoiding other problems which can arise, including cavities and tooth loss.
- Sealants – it can be difficult for children to keep their back teeth clean, especially when it comes down to the crevices in molars that may contribute to cavities. Sealants are a special covering that coats the enamel and makes it easier to keep the teeth healthier longer.
- Dental bonding – composite resin bonding is used for fillings while also used for repairing natural tooth enamel. Teeth that are chipped or broken can benefit from the use of dental bonding.
What other areas of pediatric care do parents need to know?
Parents should be well aware that pediatric dental care is not only about treatment, but also about education. We know that taking care of kids is something that most parents find complex, though the right methods of parenting come naturally over time. There are some aspects of parenting that can affect a child’s dental health. We educate parents on how to care for their children’s teeth, from birth onward, to reduce the risk of developing problems such as decay and periodontal disease. We educate parents on how to teach their children to brush and floss. Many parents don’t realize that simple actions such as sending the baby to bed with a bottle of milk can have serious implications on a child’s dental health. Parents are welcome to attend their child’s dental appointments and ask our team questions about how they should be caring for their child’s teeth to ensure a lifetime of beautiful, healthy smiles. We want parents to feel at ease with their child’s dental health and have the knowledge they need to ensure it for many years to come!
Schedule a visit with our dental care team today!
At Washington Street Dentistry, we are committed to providing Indianapolis, IN area children and adults with the care they need to enjoy a beautiful, healthy smile for life. Our professionals are here to offer treatment options for all those who require services for their teeth and gums. We welcome new patients into our practice, conveniently located at 10935 East Washington Street. Contact us for an appointment by calling (317) 333-6788 today.